2018 Volunteer Appreciation Night and Annual Meeting
Thank you to all who joined us for the 2018 Volunteer Appreciation Night and Annual Meeting!
We recognized our volunteers for their service. During 2017, 38 volunteers gave 2,992 hours of service! We value all volunteers, and especially thank Mary Dunn, Narhari K. Parz, Payton Hitchcock, Robbi Banks, and Stacy Garber for donating over 100 hours each last year.
Alison Hoolihan, Vice President, shared the FOHL's 2017 accomplishments. Through memberships and generous donations, these are are some of the ways FOHL supported our library:
- Provided Summer Reading prizes
- Purchased crafts, items, and candy for the following programs: Halloween party, Mo Willems party, rock painting, and Harry Potter Anniversary party
- Hosted local author, Dr. A. J. Hartley, for the 2017 Volunteer Recognition and Annual Meeting
- Supplied gift cards for guessing jars and teen programs
- Funded kits for the very popular Gingerbread Village Decorating family program
- Hosted a booth selling used books at the Harrisburg ARTwalk
- Provided Christmas gifts for a recipient on the library’s Giving Tree
- Sponsored a team in the Buzz Word Spelling Bee, a Cabarrus Literacy Council fundraiser
- Continued to provide library patrons with the monthly Book Page
- Co-funded a visit from Serafina book series author, Robert Beatty
- Provided items for the Solar Eclipse party
Guest speaker, Cheralyn Lambeth, joined us to share ghost stories from across the Carolinas. She is a professional costume, prop, and puppet builder whose work includes feature films (The Muppet Christmas Carol, The Patriot, Evan Almighty, Leatherheads, The Hunger Games), TV programs (Dinosaurs, Homeland, Outcast), and theater/interactive properties (Sesame Street Live!, Star Trek: The Experience, Avenue Q, Sir Purr for the Carolina Panthers). She is an active paranormal researcher and author, working with the Charlotte (NC) Area Paranormal Society as an investigator. Her books include Haunted Theaters of the Carolinas, The Well-Dressed Puppet, and Creating the Character Costume.